Wow, I made it to Day 5 of Speak Out With Your Geek Out! How’s that for seeing things through!
So, all this week I’ve concentrated on my RPG Geek. That’s to be expected from a blog named Elf Steaks, I suppose. But, as is typically the case with Geeks and non-Geeks alike, I have more than one passion. “What else do you Geek out about, BeefGriller?” Well, I’m glad you asked! Here, in no particular order, are the subjects I most Geek over.
- Role-playing games Yes, I’ll list this first. That’s out of the way, now. So, I’ll continue…
- Charcoal grilling There is a reason I took the name BeefGriller. I bought my first charcoal grill seven years ago. I obsessed over finding the perfect way to light the charcoal, grill my steaks/chicken/pork/etc., learn about indirect grilling, and just about anything else you can think of. (I love making grilled tomato pasta sauce. Yes – pasta sauce.) I think this passion is a hallmark of Geek, and I have it with charcoal grilling.
- Cooking Separate from grilling, by cooking I mean indoor food preparation. To this extent, the Geek cook demands I use fresh ingredients, make recipes from scratch, and tinker with ingredients until the end result is exactly what I want. That is Geek to me. Oh, and I exclude cakes, cookies and candies from this category. I can’t seem to do them properly, and, truth be told, my wife is the Baking Geek of the household. (Sorry for outing you, Love.)
- Computers, open-source software, and making it all work perfectly This is another huge part of my Geek. I was a founding member of my local Linux user group, way back before Linux was on the radar of any IT group. I’m a huge supporter of OpenBSD, and use it wherever I can. Just last year, I bought my first Mac and haven’t looked back. I’m also lucky enough to have turned this Geek passion into my full-time job. While it’s not always a bed of roses, I am living the Geek dream in that regard.
- Sudoku, Kakuro, and other logic games I can sit for hours and solve puzzle after puzzle. I love logic, and, by extension, logic games. I love how, given a few clues, I get to the final solution using only my brain. Not only that, it keeps my mind sharp and helps me relax. Plus, there are few things more fulfilling than solving a puzzle correctly.
So, that wraps up my Geek list. What about you? What are your Geek passions? If you share any of mine, let’s swap stories and/or tips.