GenCon – the Mecca of RPG Geekdom. Folks come from far and wide in an annual celebration of gaming, tabletop RPGs, new products, new games, dice, and other accessories and activities. Attendees leave with memories to be told at their own games for years to come.
And, outside of all of this, are we who are steeped in GenCon Misery. We, who are not in attendance of the single must-be-there-can’t-miss-it event. We, who, for whatever reason, must stay home and read the blogs, articles, Tweets, Facebook status updates, and Shared Posts on Google Plus. Sure, the technology available allows us to keep abreast of the goings-on in real time! But, let’s face it – there is no substitute for being there.
So, last year I became aware of some folks on Twitter who, like me, were bemoaning our shared inability to attend GenCon 2010. The hashtag used at this time was #GenConMisery. As GenCon 2011 is soon underway, we have revived the hashtag.
Without further adieu…
On this 3rd Day of August 2011, by Declaration of the Committee, it is Resolved:
- That we, who cannot attend the convention in the City of Indianapolis, located in the State of Indiana, of the United States of America, said convention that goes by the appellation GenCon 2011, do hereby declare GenCon Misery.
- That we, who do declare GenCon Misery, do hereby invite all other Souls admittance to membership ~ provided those Souls are not in attendance to GenCon 2011 & share Misery with existing members for their incapacity for attendance ~ to GenCon Misery.
- That Members of GenCon Misery shall Tweet camaraderous salutations to one another with the hashtag #GenConMisery when ever each Member is able.
- That Members shall imbibe potations during aforementioned Tweets while toasting One Anothers’ Good Health, with the express intent of ~ in the vernacular Speech ~ “Drowning Our Sorrows.”
- That the preferred Beverage of GenCon Misery shall be Whisky. If a Member shall not imbibe Whisky, then let said Member drink Vodka. And if neither Whisky, nor Vodka, then shall it be the Alcohol Beverage of said Member’s selection.
- Exceptions are hereby granted to Members Who, in Supplication to their Conscience, Faith or Physician, Eschew Alcoholic Fluids. However, it shall be in the Expectation that Exempt Souls do imbibe a Caffienated Beverage. Should said Soul also eschew Caffeine, then let said Soul determine the Beverage to be imbibed.We do hereby affix our Names in Agreement and Unity, directly ‘neath & within the Comment Section…